Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Visual Communication: Modes of Appeal

These are my nearly finished modes of appeal posters that I have 
revised since the first class critique. 
My logos poster now has an "aha" moment, which is important to include while trying to stick with Fukuda's style of design. I created irony by saying "25 million soldiers" and then showing the word "victory" on a grave. I hope my message is now more clear.
I needed to give my ethos poster more information so that it not only has an "aha" moment but also, now the general that I vectored is given context by the word "victory" and the crosses in the background. At first, people weren't sure that he was a general. He could be a mailman or any sort of man who wears a hat. So, the crosses of dead soldiers creates the irony of war doesn't really create a true victory..people are still dying!
_______________________________________________________
The artifact I chose to work with is by a Japanese designer named Shigeo Fukuda. The poster is called "Victory 1945" and was created in 1975 to commemorate the thirtieth anniversary of the end of WWII. It has a PATHOS mode of appeal and sends and emotional message to the viewer saying that this idea of war and battle creates irony and a false sense of victory. 

These are my initial ideas for a LOGOS mode of appeal, which means I am sending a logical message. I kept Fukuda's style of simplicity and irony, as well as a similar color pallet. 
These are my ideas for a ETHOS mode of appeal. They are intended to give a sense of credibility and the soldier figure becomes the speaker of the text. Irony is used again. 

No comments: