Monday, January 25, 2010

My Dream Design Job

Before I arrived at the Kansas City Art Institute, my artistic talent was only displayed through a limited range of pencil drawings and acrylic paintings. Fortunately, my four very rigorous and productive years at this school have opened my eyes and skill-set to much, much more. I've grown into a graphic designer and an artist who is interested in all sorts of things, including illustration, typography, photography, book design, interactive print design, web design, motion graphics, multimedia design & etc.

I've always been much more of a conceptual thinker than a creative thinker, but here lately, my concept driven design style has started to reach more and more outside of the box. I've always been an overachiever and a hard worker, but I was never actually stimulated artistically or creatively until I arrived at KCAI. My time here has made me realize that I thoroughly enjoy being challenged by technical things that require problem solving and "behind the scenes" kind of details. I thrive on perfection, concept, functionality, interactivity and purpose. I am excited by technology and the limitless possibilities that have emerged through computers and the Internet, as well as the special effects, animation, and motion graphics used in the movie/television industry.

With this being said, my dream job as a graphic designer would be to work at a motion graphics and/or screen based design studio that does movie trailers and other motion work. I would also love to do freelance website design work as well. Geographically, I plan to move to Los Angeles as soon as possible after graduation to start my career and follow through with my dream of living there that I have had since I was a child. The beautiful weather, the incredible amount of opportunities, and the forward-thinking attitude and energy from the people in LA will be just a few of the things that will make the move worth while. I have already started building connections with people in the industry who work in Hollywood and I am optimistic that I will find a lucrative and satisfying job that keeps me on the tip of my toes, while also paying my bills and allowing me to live my life to the fullest. :)

No comments: