Wednesday, October 22, 2008

phase 2: Output Postcard

At this point, I feel like I'm really struggling with this communication project. Im getting very annoyed and stressed out at my lack of creative juice for this portion of the project and I really need some help. I don't know if its because I have no interest in the Soviet Sniper badge or if its just I dont know enough about it to communicate another level of information to embellish it. I sure as hell tried as hard as I could and I have run out of time.

I think this red background one is going to be my final output postcard because it is the most unique and has a new feeling of "collage to it" The red references blood, war, and the soviet Union's flag. The bullets can create a message that relates to the sniper badge but also, a big pile of bullets can symbolize success or defeat, whichever way you look at it. 
This one tacks the sniper badge on top of a photograph of some sort of Soviet city square. Its kind of boring but might produce a new level of read. Why does the badge relate to this touristy type of image. How does my convention effect how you interepret it?
This one has a military parade photograph with the badge tacked on top of it. Its also kind of boring but has a powerful message of negative military organization and maybe the idea of authority. 

These two ideas are similar but I played around with the lighting to try to break away from the black/white automatic negative connotation. I added a whole bunch of bullets in the background, making them the secondary subject but still adding more to the story of the image.


I added bullets and a few filters to the original postcard to communicate a new message that clarifies what the badge is for. At first look, the receiver may not have known it was a sniper badge because the guns on it may not have been obvious enough. So I think my addition helps send a more clear message.

For this idea, I decided to place the object (using the same original postcard photograph, of course) into an environment that would create the idea of an interrogation room. Since the object is a sniper badge, I see it as being an object representing something top secret or a conspiracy. I tried to personify the object and make it be like a person sitting in an interrogation room being question for some sort of crime. 

For this direction I tried to enhance the lighting effects that were present in the original photograph. I feel like the object is being put in the spotlight and I made this more literal. 

I added a set of handcuffs to the original photograph to produce the idea of the arrest or conviction of a soviet sniper. 

No comments: