Thursday, September 18, 2008

FINAL STATEMENT & POSTERS FOR CRITIQUE:

Project Documentation
Request Off Poster
Priorities Poster
(right click each link and open in new window to view pdfs)

In order to address my audience in the most effective manner, I had to gather background information about their shared values and their cultural references. I then considered their graphic landscape while also trying to create a message that would target them by the usage of rhetorical tropes. After much exploration, idea refinements, and concept building, I was able to narrow down my two poster designs.

The first poster I chose to go with implements a message to the members of my demographic, who are employed either full time or part time, that voting on November 4th should become part of their schedule. A main excuse I found for lack of voting in past elections was because my demographic claimed they could not get off work to vote. I thought about the ridiculousness of this explanation and decided to use a hyperbole to create an exaggeration of many employees requesting off on election day this year compared to the other days of the month. In doing so, I am sending the message to my audience that not only is it easy to request off work for one day, but that it is important to do so. I believe by showing a "request off calendar" on my poster, my "call to action" is emphasized by the relationship my audience may have to the content. My formal approach of using photography as my medium creates a feeling of reality for my audience. My goal was for them to want to visualize their name on the calendar to make sure they have the availability to vote on election day!

The second poster contains a bold message to my audience through an ironic display of image and text. Its ironic that all of the things my demographic consider important (television, computers, video games...aka... technological entertainment) are being displayed with the words "Rethink Your Priorities." After researching the values of my audience, I realized that young adults these days are obsessed with the technological world full of distractions, such as time consuming internet networking websites, never ending video games, sports and reality tv shows. While all of these forms of entertainment may seem important, Im trying to send the message that voting should be a priority. I think my use of irony is evident in the way I juxtaposed several of the important time-wasting objects with a voting pin.




No comments: